Sharlotka Apple Cake
Sharlotka Apple Cake is very popular dessert in slavic families. It is soft and loaded with apples. This recipe requares fresh apples and simple ingredients, that easy to find. I added a modern twist to the recipe. This is my favorite cake from childhood and I am sure you will love it too.
As an Amazon associate, I make a small commission if you use any of the affiliate links below to purchase a product. Thank you for supporting my blog!
- fresh apples. Take your favorite big green or red apples.
- eggs. Eggs should be room temperature.
- flour. All-purpose flour will work for this recipe.
- baking powder, salt, cinnamon powder, lemon juice.
- sugar. granulated white sugar and powdered sugar. I use both sugars in this recipe for texture.
- butter. Unsalted butter was used in this recipe.
How to make Sharlotka Apple Cake
wash and cut fresh apples. Cook apples over medium heat in the pan for 10-15 minutes.
Tip from Marina: to cook apples, you can add spoon or more unsalted butter into frying pan.
make french meringue. How to make french meringue check here
make cake dough
assemble cake layers
bake cake. This recipe makes one 9×13 inch baking pan or two 9 inch baking pans.
cool cake, cut and enjoy.
Tips for making Sharlotka Apple Cake
- get everything ready and only then start making cake
- use eggs room temperature.
- when you are cooking apples, you can add water or apple sauce to keep it more liquady.
- meringue layer of the cake should be thin
How to store cake
Store in the air-tight container at room temperature for 2 days. I would not recommend to freeze this cake. This cake dessapears really fast.
If you make this Sharlotka Apple Cake, make sure to tag me on the social media and leave a rating down below. I would love to see your creations! Check other recipes:
- Apple pie macarons
- Piece of pie crust recipe
- Apple fritters
- Pumpkin Donuts
- Apple muffins with streusel
Sharlotka Apple Cake
- 1 stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- 5 fresh big apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 5 large eggs
- 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour 400 gr
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter 226 gr
- 1 cup granulated white sugar 200 gr
- 4 Tablespoon powdered sugar 40 gr
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180C)
- Separate eggs for egg yolks and egg whites. Set aside.
- Wash, peal and cut fresh apples to small cubes.
- In the frying pan add apple cubes and cinnamon powder, cover with the lid and cook for about 10-15minutes. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- In the mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and powdered sugar. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl of stand mixer, sift flour mixture. Add cubes of unsalted butter and egg yolks. Using pedal attachment, mix untill all combine.
- In the other mixing bowl add egg whites and salt. Whisk for about 30 seconds. Add granulated white sugar and whisk for about 5minutes over medium speed. You need to make french meringue.
- Add lemon juice intofrench meringue and whisk again for 15-20 seconds.
- Line up baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add about 3/4 of the dough intopan and press lightly with the fingers.
- Spred cooked apples over dough with the help of spatula or spoon.
- Add french meringue and spread over apples.
- Top with the remaining dough.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 F degrees (180C) or untill top of the cake will be light brown.
- Remove cake from the oven and let it cool to room temperature.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!