If you follow me on Instagram, you can see that I have a few desserts in my feed that play a trick on your eyes. Like dessert that looks like potatoes on the outside but is actually chocolate sponge cake on the inside. Today I am sharing chocolate salami easy recipe. This is the no-bake dessert and can be made ahead. If you want to impress your family or friends this is recipe for you.
As an Amazon associate, I make a small commission if you use any of the affiliate links below to purchase a product. Thank you for supporting my blog!
Ingredients for chocolate salami
- Vanilla wafers that I’ve used come in 9 oz boxes. For this recipe you need 2 boxes.
- You can use any biscuit cookies or animal crackers.
- unsalted butter (melted)
- sweetened condensed milk
- cocoa powder
- chopped pistachios or other nuts
- cognac or rum (optional)
- pinch of kosher salt
- powdered sugar, for garnish (later)
How to make chocolate salami
Beside ingredients that I listed above, you also will need plastic wrap or parchment paper.
Before making salami, you need to prepare all ingredients on the table.
Crush the cookies. You can use your hands, or rolling pin to crush cookies right in the bag that they are packaged in. You can also use blender, food processor or Thermomix. Simply rough chop cookies into small pieces.
Tip from Marina: when you crush or chop cookies, don’t worry if there are little pieces left, they will add to the character of the salami.
Chop pistachios or other nuts. The same thing, no worries about some chunks left.
In the medium bowl mix melted butter, condensed milk, cocoa powder, pinch of kosher salt and alcohol (optional). Mix well.
Tip form Marina: sift cocoa powder before use.
Add crushed cookies and chopped nuts to the bowl and mix to combine.
Scoop out part of the mixture onto plastic wrap or parchment paper.
Shape into a log, wrap tightly and twist ends of plastic wrap or parchment paper. I usually make 4 chocolate salamis from this recipe.
Next step is to chill salami in the freezer or refrigerator.
When you are ready to serve, remove log from plastic wrap or parchment paper and sift some powdered sugar over the chocolate salami. You can also tie the log using butcher’s twine.
Slice chocolate salami and enjoy!
This Chocolate Salami is from my childhood and brings a lot of memories. My mom was always making this dessert around Christmas time.
How to store Chocolate salami
Refrigerate for 2 weeks or freeze for a few months. Just make sure it’s wrapped tightly. Perfect dessert to make ahead.
If you make this chocolate salami, please tag me on social media and make sure to leave a comment down below. I would love to see your creations! Check also other recipes:
- Fall Cookies 5 ingredients
- Egg Yolk Cookies
- Chocolate macaron shells
- One dough Holiday cookie box
- Vanilla cupcakes
- Lemon macarons
- Chocolate covered strawberries
- Pistachio Raspberry Cookies
Chocolate Salami easy recipe
- plastic wrap or parchment paper
- 500 gr Vanilla wafers 2 boxes (9oz each)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter ( 226gr)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14oz)
- 100 gr chopped pistachios or other nuts
- 4 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoon cognac or rum (optional)
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar for garnish later
- Crush the cookies.
- Chop pistachios or other nuts.
- Melt unsalted butter.
- In the medium bowl mix melted butter, condensed milk, cocoa powder, pinch of kosher salt and alcohol (optional). Mix well.
- Add crushed cookies and chopped nuts to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Scoop out part of the mixture onto plastic wrap or parchment paper.
- Shape into a log, wrap tightly and twist ends of plastic wrap or parchment paper.
- Chill salami in the freezer or refrigerator.
- Remove log from plastic wrap or parchment paper and sift some powdered sugar over the chocolate salami.
- Slice chocolate salami and enjoy!