This beautiful color of Strawberry Buttercream comes from strawberry puree and powder of freeze dried strawberries. There is no food coloring was added. Natural and simple ingredients were used in this recipe. Perfect for macarons, cupcakes, cakes and much more.
As an Amazon associate, I make a small commission if you use any of the affiliate links below to purchase a product. Thank you for supporting my blog!
How to make Strawberry Buttercream
Ingredients you’ll need
- Butter. Unsalted butter room temperature. Use good quality butter, but you can substitute it with vegan butter, vegetable shortening or margarine.
- Sugar. Powdered sugar sifted. Important to sift powdered sugar before making buttercream. This will help to avoid any lumps and cream will be smooth and creamy.
- Salt. This used for taste.
- Strawberry puree. Use homemade strawberry puree or store-bought. How to make homemade puree check here. You can make puree a day or two ahead.
- powder of crushed freeze dried strawberries.
How to make powder from freeze dried strawberries
You can use store bought powder. But many grocery stores sell sliced freeze dried strawberries. It is easy to make powder from it. Check a few ways:
- Crush freeze dried strawberries in the plastic bag using rolling pan. Sift powder and set aside.
- Using knife cut sliced strawberries and then sift to make powder.
- Place freeze dried strawberries in a small food processor and pulse until they’ve become a fine powder. Sift this powder and set aside.
Tip from Marina: if you do not mind strawberry seeds, then do not sift powder.
In a large mixing bowl of stand mixer with pedal attachment, add room temperature unsalted butter. Beat butter for a few minutes on medium-high speed, scraping down the sides occasionally. After that, add on half of the powdered sugar and mix on the lowest speed setting until fully combined. Then add remaining powdered sugar and continue to mix on low until incorporated. Add in strawberry puree, salt and powder of crushed freeze dried strawberries. Mix on low until buttercream is smooth and creamy.
How to store
Store Strawberry Buttercream in the fridge for up to a week. You can make this buttercream in advance and store in air-tight container. When you are ready to use, let buttercream to soften to room temperature, then stir before pipping. This recipe makes enough to decorate 12 cupcakes, cover 9″ cake and decorate the top of the cake. You can also freeze this buttercream.
Where to use
This Strawberry buttercream is stable, pipes like a dream and can be used in many desserts like:
If you make this Strawberry Buttercream, please tag me on social media and make sure to leave a rating down below. I would love to see your creations! Check also other recipes:
- Strawberry Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes
- Strawberry Macarons
- Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- 1 rubber spatula
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature 2 sticks 226 gr
- 2 ½ cup powdered sugar sifted 312 gr
- 2 Tbsp strawberry puree
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp powder of crushed freeze dried strawberries
- In a large mixing bowl of stand mixer with pedal attachment, add room temperature unsalted butter.
- Beat butter for a few minutes on medium-high speed, scraping down the sides occasionally with rubber spatula.
- Add on half of the powdered sugar and mix on the lowest speed setting until fully combined.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and continue to mix on low until incorporated.
- Add in strawberry puree, salt and powder of crushed freeze dried strawberries. Mix on low until buttercream is smooth and creamy.